Okay, so as I mentioned in my earlier BLOG, I passed my USCG AUX TCO examination — very happy with this accomplishment. I’m gonna get a USCG Call-sign to be authorized to talk with USCG, Mariner’s Stations, rescue USCG aircraft, and water vessels when activated. Very happy with this!
I got approved by USCG AUX to get my magnetic door panels to slap on each time I get deployed — the USCG AUX wants them on when my vehicle gets registered with the USCG.
Several days ago, I purchased a brand new Motorola XPR 5550 VHF for my USCG communications — straight from the Motorola Factory.
The USCG will be doing an inspection of my cars, house, and communications equipment. They all have to pass inspection.
Part of the inspection is doing a radio test on MAR83A, which means…time to re-configure my antenna set up on my penthouse deck and rooftop.
Presently, I have three antennas: yagi, HAM, and GMRS.
My HAM buddies, bio-tech engineer, Leonard, and retired SFPD Officer, Ralph, are gonna come by on 20-February-2021, to help me design a new configuration for all my antennas — looks like I might replace the VHF yagi with a VHF J-pole that Leonard made for me.
Both Ralph and Leonard are super knowledgeable about antennas; so, I’m glad they are coming over to help me out.
The current plan is to purchase a 10-ft electric lightweight conduit steel pipe. Attach the HAM antenna to the pipe and raise it up. The pipe will be clamped on to the steel poles of the fire escape posts.
More to follow after my tennis work-out and after we get the job done…for now, I’m gonna enjoy the sunny day by getting with my tennis network, and smack the ball around…but, I always have a Motorola around…this one matches my tennis gear — I just dig my Motorola XTS 5000R — it’s the real R.
24-February-2021, at 0241 Hours PST:
Yesterday, 23-February-2021, from 1100 – 1730 Hours PST, Ralph, Leonard, and I met up, drove to Home Depot, picked up a 10-ft electrical conduit, and steel hose claps. After Home Depot, we went back to my place and started our work.
We removed the Diamond X-50 antenna and attached it to the 10-ft electrical conduit; then, we hoisted the 10-ft electrical conduit, and we strapped it to the fire escape.
After that, we relocated the Browning GMRS Antenna to the old location of the Diamond X-50 antenna.
Ralph and Leonard did some final adjustments.
After we got done with the elevation of the HAM repeater antenna and the GMRS antenna, we headed down to the paddock, and we hooked up the HAM and GMRS to their respective antenna cables.
We did an SWR and power test and SUCCESS! The SWR meter’s needle didn’t even move, which means the antennas new height are perfect!
I’m truly grateful that the Trinity blessed me with Leonard and Ralph as my friends. I’m fortunate to have them as my friends.
This project is completed, and today, 24-February-2021, the USCG will be examining my house, and two daily driver vehicles. I will execute and radio test on MAR83A, and if I pass that radio-test, my house, two daily-driver vehicles, and I will get the coveted USCG call-signs and approve me to RX/TX on USCG frequencies and with water vessels, aircraft, and land-base stations whenever I get deployed or participate in USCG Net-controls.
I’m so happy about this accomplishment.
/s/ Alfonso Faustino