I always wonder about the locations of the HAM operators with whom I meet on various frequencies; hence, I created this BLOG to show you the location from which I transmit and receive.
I affectionately call my station location: Eagle’s Nest, which is located in an area in San Francisco, which I personally call, Top Of Nob Hill.
The featured picture, below, is the view of the Bay Bridge from an elevation of ~370 ASL: California and Mason Streets, which is about two blocks from Eagle’s Nest; and, Eagle’s Nest is an extra ~110 feet ASL from that location. I see this view everyday and night when I do my HIIT up California Street or when I walk to my acting class.
The following pictures, below in this BLOG, are views from my penthouse, penthouse deck, and roof-top deck. As you can see, I have an unobstructed LOS in the East (Trans America Pyramid and Bay Bridge), Northeast (Coit Tower), and North (Golden Gate Bridge) — coupled with my elevation and antenna, my signals can cover a lot of real estate.
Here is some stats and my HAM network migration path when I’m on the air:
- FCC Call-Sign: K6ASF
- DMR-MARC ID: 1106613 (Motorola XPR 7550e UHF) & 1106617 (Motorola XPR 7550: VHF)
- FCC GMRS Call-sign: WQZ1967
- Operator’s Name: Alfonso Faustino
- FRN: 0026333369
- Amateur Station Name (Unregistered): Eagle’s Nest
- City: San Francisco
- State: California
- Station District: 3: Nob Hill: AKA: Top Of Nob Hill
- Elevation Of Station: ~480 Feet ASL (from originating base, California & Mason Streets: 370 Feet ASL to tip of antenna)
- Unobstructed LOS: East, North East, and North
- Hand-held Transceiver: Motorola XPR 7550e
- Mobile Transceiver (used also as a portable home base-station at Eagle’s Nest): Yaesu FT-857D
- Mounted External Antenna: Diamond X-50: Frequency Bands: 2 Meter and 70 Centimeter
- Portable Power Sources: Portable Battery: Bioenno Lithium Ion Phosphate
- Repeaters: CARLA Systems 2 & 5
- Bay Area DMR Repeater: CARLA: K6LNK (Oakland)
- DMR Talk Group IDs I visit: 311, 31068, 3106, 91, 311040, 31075, and 310604
- Nearest Hospital: St. Francis Memorial: 900 Hyde Street
- Nearest Police Station: Central Station: 766 Vallejo Street
- Nearest Fire Station #41: 1325 Leavenworth Street
- OPWS: Siren #16 and #17
Unless it is raining or unbearably cold, I am transmitting and receiving at this location; hence, I’m at this location about 80% of the year. The view mesmerizes me…I like to listen to the HAM operators on CARLA coordinate maintenance and repair cycles, while looking out to the view of San Francisco’s skyline.
My favorite landmark is the Trans America Pyramid and the Bay Bridge. The view is closer to me than shown in the picture, below; I had to zoom out my iPhone to focus on my Yaesu FT-857D transceiver.
The other 20% of the year, due to rain, I move my gear inside.
I changeout my antennas from my home-base mounted Diamond X-50 to my portable Rubber Duck: Comet: 146/446 MHz Dual Bander. When I’m inside, I’m on the power grid and using my PowerWerks transformer.
I’m interested in seeing your HAM shack; so, feel free to send me pictures.
I’m truly fortunate to have such a great nest for my HAM operations. I’m blessed.
/s/ Alfonso Faustino (K6ASF)